GENERAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
All Summer@Potomac staff members must:
- Be of good character and reputation.
- Be able and willing to consistently create a safe, positive environment for children.
- Be sensitive to and understand individual and cultural differences within a diverse population of children and staff.
- Attend all of the required staff orientations and training days.
- Obtain any licenses or certificates applicable to his/her job prior to the start of the camp season.
- Be able and willing to accept training, feedback, and supervision.
- Be able and willing to follow the policies and procedures as outlined in the Summer@Potomac Staff Handbook.
- Have no prior or current arrests for or convictions of a barrier crime.
- Pass State and FBI record and sex offender background checks.
- Provide proof of being free from tuberculosis.
- 16 years or older. (Interns must be 15 years old or have completed ninth grade)
Head Counselors must:
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Have a high school diploma and a minimum of one year of supervised programmatic experience with children.
- Head Counselors must have current First Aid and CPR certification, if required. Summer@Potomac will offer the classes and will cover the cost of the class. if required for employment.
Assistant Counselors must:
- Be at least 16.
- Have a minimum of 2 months experience working with children or appropriate recommendations.
Preferred experience for Assistant Counselor applicants: Successful completion of a Counselor Intern or Counselor Apprentice program or experience where the applicant excelled at another camp in a position similar to the one for which they are applying.
Our Counselor Intern program is the flagship program to prepare to become a counselor at Summer@Potomac. The interns participate in all areas of our camp and work directly with The Director of Summer Programs on leadership skills. Counselor Interns are non-salaried positions. They are open to qualified high school students who are a least 15 years old and have completed the ninth grade. Intern positions depend on program needs and are awarded on a very limited basis. Counselor Interns must be available for all six weeks of our summer program June 25 - August 3, 2018 and attend staff orientations, if applicable.
How to Apply?
Please fill out a Counselor Intern application under Employment information. Deadline for applications is February 1st. Once all applications are reviewed, you will be contacted to set-up an interview with the Director of Auxiliary Programs and the Director of Summer Programs in February or March. Space is limited. We encourage former Potomac campers and Counselor Apprentices to apply.