School Year Abroad
Last year, four Potomac Panthers lived and studied abroad in Zaragoza, Spain and in Rennes, France as part of the School Year Abroad (SYA) program, which places American sophomores, juniors, and seniors in one of four independently operated schools in Italy, France, and Spain for a full academic year.
The program includes extensive cultural immersion; courses taught in the native language; and required subjects such as math and English, taught in English. SYA guides students through a challenging curriculum focused on developing skills for an increasingly interdependent world. Central to the SYA experience is the adventure of fully engaging with different languages, cultures, and people.
School Year AbroadThe Potomac School is a member of the School Year Abroad program. We offer our students the opportunity to participate in SYA programs in Spain, France, or Italy. The immersive programs offer language mastery, deepen cultural awareness and global understanding.
Interested parents should contact Potomac's SYA representative, Diana Page.
Semester AwayThe Semester Schools Network represents 11 schools offering semester-length educational opportunities for talented high school students. Students leave their home schools to attend semester programs, returning with academic credit, out-of-classroom experiences, and a whole new worldview. They have enrolled thousands of students from hundreds of high schools across the U.S. and world. Students can choose from semester schools located in big cities, small towns, mountains, forests, coasts and more.
- Alzar School (Chile & Idaho)
- CITYterm at The Masters School (Dobbs Ferry, New York)
- Conserve School (Land O’ Lakes, Wisconsin)
- High Mountain Institute (Leadville, Colorado)
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki (Wiscasset, Maine)
- The Island School (Eleuthera, The Bahamas)
- The Mountain School (Vershire, Vermont)
- The Outdoor Academy (Pisgah Forest, North Carolina)
- The Oxbow School (Napa, California)
- The School for Ethics and Global Leadership (Washington, DC)
- The Traveling School (South America & Southern Africa)
Checking in with Potomac’s Student Year Abroad Participants
The Student Year Abroad (SYA) program provides an excellent opportunity for students to learn in a new environment while immersing themselves in a foreign language and culture. SYA offers semester-long and year-long study opportunities.
The Current, Potomac's student news site, spoke to three recent participants.