There are literally thousands of websites that can provide students with information useful to their college searches. Of course, many of them are also unhelpful or contain erroneous information. Here’s a list of useful websites:
- www.collegeboard.com: In addition to being the place to register for the SAT, this site has a very useful college search engine.
- www.act.org: The site to register for the ACT.
- www.studentaid.ed.gov: This comprehensive and useful site can assist you with finding financial assistance to help cover your college costs.
- www.fafsa.ed.gov: The place you should go to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid online.
- www.fastweb.com, www.goodcall.com, and www.collegeanswer.com: Three (of a myriad of sites) on which you can do scholarship searches.
- http://www.dccap.org/financial/dc_programs.shtml: The web page for the DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DCTAG) that is available to residents of the District of Columbia. The DCTAG Program pays the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition, up to $10,000 a year with a lifetime maximum of $50,000, to assist DC residents with out-of state tuition fees at any public college or university in the nation. Undergraduate students who choose to attend private colleges and universities in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area and any private HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) in the nation are eligible to receive a grant.
- www.commonapp.org: You can see the list of participating Common Application schools and complete the Common Application on this site.
- http://eligibilitycenter.org: Students who are planning to continue their athletic involvement should go to this site to learn about eligibility requirements for the NCAA as well as to register to determine their eligibility to play a sport at an NCAA Division I or II college or university.
Click here for the recommended testing schedule for Potomac students for the 2019-20 school year..
As you work through the various forms related to your college search, you’ll notice that many organizations will ask for Potomac’s School Code as a way to uniquely identify the School. Most online forms will help you find Potomac’s School Code; however, in case you need it, Potomac’s School Code is 471396.