POTOMAC’S MISSION AND VALUES
At The Potomac School, we believe that intellectual development, love of learning, and strength of character are complementary and equally essential educational goals. With a firm commitment to our core values and a rigorous academic program, we prepare students to lead lives of purpose, achievement, and generosity of spirit.
PHILOSOPHY AND PRACTICE
We achieve The Potomac School’s mission through our educational philosophy and practice. At Potomac we
- foster a diverse, inclusive learning community where all voices and viewpoints are valued
- provide a balanced educational experience that integrates academics, athletics, and the arts
- empower our students to become independent thinkers and learners by emphasizing the rewards of inquiry, initiative, and reflection
- emphasize appreciation for the natural world and each person’s responsibility for environmental stewardship
- call upon all members of our community to act with compassion, civic conscience, and a commitment to serving
Since its founding, The Potomac School has steadfastly believed that developing a student’s character is as important as educating for intellectual growth. Informed by values, students learn to use their intellect and skills productively and in service to others. The school has identified the following five core values as the ethical and moral guideposts that enable all of us in the Potomac community to develop good judgment and live principled lives:
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
“We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike” - Maya Angelou
E pluribus unum: Out of many, one - Great Seal of the United States
The Potomac School’s mission is to prepare students for lives of purpose, achievement, and generosity of spirit. Our commitment to welcome, appreciate, and engage respectfully with people of all backgrounds and perspectives is essential to achieving this mission.
At Potomac, we are a connected and inclusive community. We learn from one another and firmly believe that our community is intellectually enriched and morally strengthened by the presence of many different voices and viewpoints.
As we accept, learn from, and celebrate difference at our school, we also work together to uphold the principles that form the foundation of the Potomac community – our core values, a commitment to mutual support, and a shared focus on the common good. We expect everyone at Potomac to demonstrate integrity and respect for all individuals and to act in the best interests of others and the community as a whole.
In harmony with these convictions, we are committed to the following:
- To be a school where each individual is respected and valued and demonstrates the same respect toward others.
- To recruit and retain outstanding faculty, staff, and administrators from a variety of backgrounds.
- To enroll talented students from a variety of backgrounds and to provide equity of opportunity, ensuring that all students can learn, grow, and thrive at Potomac.
- To advance our individual growth by working to connect with and understand others, especially those whose backgrounds, voices, or viewpoints differ from our own.
- To be courageous in the pursuit of justice in our community and in the world.