The Potomac School
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
“We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike”
- Maya Angelou
E pluribus unum: Out of many, one
- Great Seal of the United States
The Potomac School’s mission is to prepare students for lives of purpose, achievement, and generosity of spirit. Our commitment to welcome, appreciate, and engage respectfully with people of all backgrounds and perspectives is essential to achieving this mission.
At Potomac, we are a connected and inclusive community. We learn from one another and firmly believe that our community is intellectually enriched and morally strengthened by the presence of many different voices and viewpoints.
As we accept, learn from, and celebrate difference at our school, we also work together to uphold the principles that form the foundation of the Potomac community – our core values, a commitment to mutual support, and a shared focus on the common good. We expect everyone at Potomac to demonstrate integrity and respect for all individuals and to act in the best interests of others and the community as a whole.
In harmony with these convictions, we are committed to the following:
- To be a school where each individual is respected and valued and demonstrates the same respect toward others.
- To recruit and retain outstanding faculty, staff, and administrators from a variety of backgrounds.
- To enroll talented students from a variety of backgrounds and to provide equity of opportunity, ensuring that all students can learn, grow, and thrive at Potomac.
- To advance our individual growth by working to connect with and understand others, especially those whose backgrounds, voices, or viewpoints differ from our own.
- To be courageous in the pursuit of justice in our community and in the world.