Tuition & Financial Aid
Tuition for the 2017-18 Academic Year
Kindergarten - Grades 3: $34,440
Grades 4 - 6: $36,985
Grades 7 - 8: $39,400
Grades 9 - 12: $39,770
Per year per child full time: $4,885
Per year per child part time: $2,445
The Potomac School offers several payment plans or financing options.
Option 1: Full tuition paid by July 3
Option 2: Tuition paid in two installments of 65% tuition and 100% of fees by July 3 and the remaining 35% of tuition by December 1
Option 3: Ten monthly payments plan (May - February) through FACTS.
Financial Aid Philosophy and Objectives
The Potomac School Financial Aid program has a two-fold purpose: to provide deserving students with the opportunity for an excellent education that might otherwise be unaffordable and to provide the school with a well-qualified student body reflecting a broad socio-economic mix. To achieve these goals, it is our hope that tuition cost will not be the deciding factor in determining whether a promising young person may attend Potomac.
The Potomac School encourages families with limited financial resources to apply for assistance based upon the assumption the primary obligation for financing a student’s education rests with the family. Potomac expects a family is willing to make what could be significant adjustments with regard to the use of their discretionary income. Families should also be willing to access ancillary resources that may be available through extended family, work, and/or local organizations.
Awards are made with the understanding the school and each family have priorities that demonstrate a commitment to common goals and values. Admission to The Potomac School and access to the Financial Aid program is open to students of any sex, race, color, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, physical attributes, disability, or sexual orientation
- Parents who are divorced, separated, or have never been married must complete an application for each household, regardless of custodial arrangements.
- If all children in the family are school age, Potomac generally expects both parents to be employed and will use a formula adding a dollar amount to compensate when this is not the case.
- Because tuition assistance is based on a family’s ability to pay, the income and resources of both parents and/or stepparents must be considered.
- Be sure to explain special circumstances in the area provided in order to give the financial aid committee a clear picture of your family’s financial situation. Failure to do so lessens your likelihood of receiving financial aid or may affect the amount offered.
The Potomac School is committed to maintaining a student body that reflects the varied economic background of the metropolitan area. The Board of Trustees has established a generous financial aid program for the School, allocating 12.5% of tuition and fees to financial aid for children of families who demonstrate financial need. The program provided financial assistance to 18% of our students in the 2017-18 school year, totaling over $5.2 million.
All financial aid information is confidential. Decisions on admission bear no relation to requests for financial aid. If any fees connected to the application process pose a hardship, please contact the Admission Office.
APPLICATIONS FOR FINANCIAL AID SHOULD BE FILED NO LATER THAN FEBRUARY 1, 2018. THE DEADLINE FOR RETURNING STUDENTS IS JANUARY 2, 2018.
The Financial Aid office is available throughout the year for conversations about assistance for school - related expenses. Contact Claire Berg at (703) 873-6181.
The Potomac School uses the School and Student Services (SSS by NAIS) to process our financial aid applications for both new and returning families. SSS by NAIS is a service of the National Association of Independent Schools. Based on the financial information you provide, SSS provides Potomac with an estimated amount that your family can contribute towards educational expenses. This service helps Potomac make fair and objective financial aid decisions.
Please note that the deadline to submit the Parents’ Financial Statement to School & Student Services (SSS by NAIS (SSS) for admission applicants is February 1, 2018. The deadline for returning students is January 2, 2018.
All financial aid applications must be completed ONLINE.
To begin your financial aid application for the 2018-19 school year, please follow the steps below:
- As early as November 1, 2017, go to www.sssbynais.org.
- Click on the prompt to begin your Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS).You only need to complete one PFS even if you have more than one child applying to Potomac.
- You will create a username and password that will allow you to return to your PFS at a later date to submit and update information.
will be given instructions about submitting supporting documents.All supporting documentation must be sent to
SSS either electronically or by mail. Our
office will not accept documentation.
- A complete copy of your 2016 Federal Income Tax return along with all supporting schedules.
- A complete copy of your 2017 return as soon as possible but no later than February 15, 2018.
- A copy of all parents’ 2017 W2s or 1099s
- Business tax returns (2016 and 2017) for families who own their own businesses.
- Additional documentation as requested from our office.
Financial Aid Contact
In order to best serve our families, we encourage open conversations regarding your financial situation. If we can assist you in any way, please feel free to contact our office.
Director of Admission and Financial Aid
Coordinator Financial Aid Services