STEPS Mentoring Program
STRENGTHENING ENGAGEMENT AT THE POTOMAC SCHOOL
At Potomac we want to ensure that every student is fully engaged in all aspects of School life. Our STEPS program provides support and guidance through faculty and peer mentors for any student who might need extra help academically, socially or emotionally. All students grades 9-12 are eligible.
Our standard of excellence involves developing the whole child. Academic achievement is a required standard for a Potomac student, but other indicators of excellence are just as important and include self-confidence, a sense of pride and responsibility, and invested membership in our community. These attributes are the goal of a Potomac education and are the measures of excellence for an individual’s life.
Simply put, when one of the three ingredients of success—academic/co-curricular achievement, social engagement or emotional well-being—is lacking, a student is not able to attain his or her highest potential. STEPS works to attain that balance, providing a little extra help and care when needed.
Who participates in the STEPS program?
- Approximately 20 Upper School students are currently in the program, either as Student Ambassadors or participants.
- Students of all backgrounds and experiences who may need assistance transitioning to a new community are welcome to participate.
How does the STEPS program work?
- The STEPS Committee identifies students who might benefit from the program.
- Students and their parents are asked if they would like to participate.
- Faculty members, in partnership with the STEPS Committee, work with participating students to help with academic issues, if needed.
- Student Ambassadors assist students new to Potomac’s Upper School, helping them meet other students, including them in School events and making sure they are fully engaged in School life.
Levi Franklin (Program Co-Coordinator)
David Grant (Director, Diversity & Inclusion)
STEPS Mission Statement
Strengthening each student’s engagement at Potomac on every level—academic, extracurricular, social and emotional—is key to his or her success. The STEPS program offers strategic support and guidance for students in grades 9-12 who need assistance in any of these areas of engagement.
Supplemental to our School advisory program, STEPS connects students and families with faculty and student mentors relevant to students’ interests and needs. The program’s overall goal is to enable students to value their voice within the larger School community, to confidently explore their individuality, and to embrace Potomac as their own.