Upper School Mathematics Teacher
The Potomac School seeks qualified candidates for the position of Upper School Mathematics Teacher to begin duties August 2013. The ideal candidate has a broad math background, is versatile enough to teach the various levels of Mathematics appropriate for a college preparatory school, and comes with the appropriate skills to engage students in a lively, intellectually rigorous and interactive discourse. Candidates must be willing to work closely with departmental colleagues in a collaborative setting. Other responsibilities for this position include those that are normally part of an independent school commitment: advisory assignments, possible coaching or extracurricular activity assignments, committee work, and other routine duties.
Upper School Computer Science/Robotics Teacher
The Potomac School, a K-12 independent school in McLean, VA, seeks an Upper School Computer Science/Robotics Teacher (Grades 9-12) for the 2013-14 academic year. Teaching duties include one to two sections of Computer Science as well as supervising the school’s Robotics Program. Candidates must have excellent communication skills, expertise in programming, and enjoy working with motivated high school students. Three years of teaching experience and an advanced degree are highly desirable.
4th Grade Classroom Teacher
The Potomac School is seeking an enthusiastic, caring 4th Grade Classroom Teacher for the 2013-2014 school year. The classroom teacher is responsible for the social, emotional and academic (language arts, mathematics, and social studies) growth of a small class of children. A minimum of three years classroom teaching experience at the upper elementary level is required; a Master’s degree in Education is preferred. Additional coaching opportunities are available.
Lower School Classroom Teacher
The Potomac School is seeking an enthusiastic, caring Lower School teacher (Grades K-3) for the 2013-2014 school year. The classroom teacher is responsible for the social, emotional and academic growth of a small class of children. The ideal candidate supports Potomac’s mission to foster each child’s intellectual development, love of learning and strength of character. A minimum of two years classroom teaching experience at the lower elementary level is required; a Master’s degree in Education is preferred. Additional coaching opportunities are available.
Lower School Intern
The Potomac School, a private K-12 school in McLean, VA seeks exceptional aspiring teachers to work as interns in the Lower School (grades K-3) for the 2013-14 school year. Working under the mentorship of experienced teachers, interns participate fully in the life of the school, from instructional practices to collaborative work and extracurricular activities. Applicants should achieve enrollment in a graduate degree program in teaching or reading instruction at either Marymount University or University of Virginia. The internship program is designed to integrate theory and methods learned in coursework with effective classroom practice.
- Working four days per week (full day) in a Potomac classroom with a mentor teacher
- Collaborating with mentor teachers to plan and implement small and large group lessons
- Developing skills for differentiating instruction for a range of learners
- Participating in long and short range planning, student assessment, and curricular conversations
Kindergarten Instructional Assistant - Part Time
The Potomac School is seeking candidates for the position of part-time Kindergarten Instructional Assistant. Working until noon each day, side-by-side with a master teacher, the assistant is a valued member of the Kindergarten team. Together, the teacher and assistant plan the instructional program and co-teach in a vibrant learning environment. A college degree and experience working in an early childhood classroom are valuable assets for this position. An understanding of developmental readiness and balanced literacy would further enhance the applicant's qualifications. We are looking for a caring, flexible individual with a strong commitment to the philosophy of our school to join our dynamic Lower School team.
No positions available at this time.
Director of Communications
The Potomac School in McLean, Virginia, three miles from Washington, DC, seeks an experienced Director of Communications for a full time position beginning July 1, 2013. The successful candidate will be responsible for implementing an integrated marketing and communications program that supports the School’s strategic plan and advances understanding and support for the School among internal and external constituencies. This senior level position, reporting to the Head of School, will oversee all School communications, including electronic and print publications, marketing materials and website content.
The Director of Communications will be a strategic thinker and self-starter with excellent writing skills and will possess the ability to manage a complex communications program while maintaining a steady focus on advancing the School’s vision. Desired qualifications include: at least five years of managerial experience; exemplary written, editing and oral skills; experience creating and administering strategic communications plans; experience with a wide range of media; ability to manage multiple priorities; excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills. Experience in public relations and with independent schools is desirable.
- Oversees all school communications, including e-communications, website content and print materials
- Responsible for public and media relations
- Provides counsel to the Head of School, the administrative team and the Board of Trustees
- Responsible for emergency communications and serves on School Security Committee
- Responsible for biannual School (Alumni) magazine
- Responsible for School branding and marketing
- Coordinates and collaborates with the Admission Office regarding marketing and communication needs.
- Coordinates and supports Development Office initiatives and communications needs.
- Head Varsity Wrestling Coach
- Head Boys JV Squash Coach
For all girls coaching positions, please contact Cas Blanchard, Girls Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-749-6345.
For all boys coaching positions, please contact Rob Lee, Boys Athletic Director, at email@example.com or 703-749-6372.
The Potomac School invites qualified school bus drivers to join our extended school family. We prefer CDL licensed drivers.
- Competitive Pay
- Excellent Benefits
- Bonus Incentives
- Consistent, regular PT schedule (Hours: 6:30 – 8:15 AM & 3:00 – 4:30 PM)
- Additional runs are available - Field Trips, late buses, and event buses
- Paid holidays and vacations
- Childcare cost savings - Infants, preschool aged children may ride with you
- No fueling or maintenance of buses required
- Well-behaved students
- You need to be 21+ years of age
- Drug Test and Background Check Required (paid by school)
- Need to have a CDL permit
- Need to complete training and orientation and pass CDL test