R ecognized as one of the premier independent day schools in the nation, The Potomac School is distinguished by its emphasis on excellent teaching and its vibrant, engaged community.
Potomac faculty and staff are among the finest in the country, in part because they work at a school that allows their unique passions and personalities to thrive. The teachers here are experts in their respective fields, with more than 75 % holding advanced degrees. Our employees get a great professional boost from working with dedicated, highly-skilled colleagues and mentors.
In hiring faculty and staff, Potomac looks for both the “who” and the “what” – that is, the personal qualities as well as the professional knowledge and skills that together empower an individual to have a positive impact on students’ learning and on the school community as a whole.
If the idea of being a part of this dynamic learning community inspires you…if you believe you have what it takes to make a positive difference in the life of our school and the lives of our students…we’d like to hear from you. Take a look at the open positions below and consider all that The Potomac School has to offer, including:
- Competitive salaries and generous benefits
- A commitment to supporting your continued professional growth
- A support structure that will help you succeed and thrive as a member of the community
- A rewarding work environment that offers you the opportunity to make a difference every day!
- Upper School
- Intermediate School
- Middle School
- Lower School
- Cross Divisional
- Bus Drivers
- Summer programs
Lower School Teacher - Grade 3
The Potomac School, a K-12 independent school in McLean, VA is seeking an enthusiastic and caring Lower School Teacher (Grade 3) for the 2017-18 school year. The classroom teacher will be responsible for the social, emotional, and academic (language arts, mathematics, and social studies) growth of a small group of children. The ideal candidate supports Potomac’s mission to foster each child’s intellectual development, love of learning, and strength of character. A minimum of two years classroom teaching experience at the lower elementary level is required; a master’s degree in education is preferred. The successful candidate will be a collaborative and engaging educator with outstanding communication and organizational skills.
The Potomac School offers its employees a generous, comprehensive benefits package including financial assistance for enhanced professional development.
In striving to fulfill its mission, The Potomac School seeks many different voices, viewpoints, and backgrounds. Qualified applicants should complete this short form and upload their cover letter and resume or mail materials to: Human Resources Department, The Potomac School, 1301 Potomac School Rd., McLean, VA 22101.
Substitute Teachers (K-12)
We are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic substitute teachers for grades K-12. Candidates should have at least a bachelor’s degree and experience working in a classroom environment.
Qualified applicants should complete this short form and attach their cover letter and resume or mail materials to: Human Resources Department, The Potomac School, 1301 Potomac School Rd., McLean, VA 22101.
Girls Coaching Positions
- Varsity volleyball assistant coach
- Varsity field hockey assistant coach
- Intermediate School soccer assistant coach
- IS cross country coach
- Varsity assistant indoor track
- Varsity assistant cross country
- JV head girls soccer coach
Boys Coaching Positions
- IS soccer assistant coach
- Varsity boys squash coaches
- JV boys squash coaches
- JV2 soccer assistant coaches
For girls coaching positions, please contact Cas Blanchard, girls athletic director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-749-6345.
For boys coaching positions, please contact Rob Lee, boys athletic director, at email@example.com or (703) 749-6372.
CDL - SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Part-Time)
The Potomac School, a private independent K-12 School in McLean, VA is looking for a qualified bus driver. The ideal candidate will be responsible for driving morning and evening bus routes. This is a 10-month, split shift position that offers:
- Competitive Pay: $26.96 per hour based on credentials
- Availability of additional runs which includes field trips, late buses, and event buses
- Bonus Incentives
- Well-behaved students
- Availability of summer work
- Excellent benefits for eligible employees which includes: health, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and holidays; tuition assistance and training & development
- No fueling or maintenance of buses required
- Need to be 21+ years of age
- Excellent bus driving record
- Pass the drug test and background check (paid by school)
- Complete training and orientation
Qualified applicants should complete this short form and upload their cover letter and resume or mail material to: The Human Resources Department, The Potomac School, 1301 Potomac School Rd., McLean, VA 22101.
At Potomac we're proud to be a community of vibrant individuals, from diverse backgrounds, with a multitude of passions. We are united in our belief that our school is intellectually and morally strengthened when many different voices and viewpoints are engaged.
We administer our educational policies, admission policies, financial aid program, athletic program, and other school programs, including the hiring of faculty and staff without discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, age, nationality, sexual orientation, or any other category to the extent protected by applicable laws.